July 25, 2017
I’m so in to muffins lately. They’re quick, easy, require only one bowl & you can make them very healthy with a few little tweaks. I adapted this one from the Taste website, by cutting back on the refined sugar and adding some protein & omega-3s from flax seeds. I eat them for breakfast, as an afternoon snack, or after dinner if I fancy something sweet. I hope you enjoy them!
- 2 cups of self raising flour (wholemeal if you have it)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped Tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsps milk (more if needed)
- 1/3 cup greek yoghurt
- Large handful of fresh or frozen blueberries (if they’re frozen, let them thaw for 30 minutes or pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds, so they’re not cold when you put the muffins in the oven).
- 1 Tbsp each of oats, sunflower seeds & brown sugar (for topping individual muffins).
Combine dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients, stirring as you go to combine. Finally, add fruit.
Spoon a (very) heaped Tablespoon into muffin tins (should make around 6-8 muffins). Top each muffin with a sprinkle of oats, sunflower seeds & brown sugar.
Bake at 180C for 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.