June 25, 2015
There’s nothing quite like a good roast dinner in winter – but if you’re a vegetarian it’s hard to find an equally-satisfying equivalent! When the weather gets colder I tend to become more inventive with my vegetarian cooking – it goes from light salads to vegetable bakes, risottos and tasty soups to warm you up from the inside out. Here’s one of my current favourites, for those chilly winter nights! No meat required. :)
Mushroom & Quinoa ‘Quinsotto’
3 cups of cooked quinoa (from 1 ½ cups of raw quinoa. You can cook it in the microwave with water)
300g mushrooms, chopped (any kind)
1 onion, chopped finely
1 teaspoon of minced garlic (from 2 cloves)
2/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
A bunch of broccolini, roughly chopped
Half a glass of white wine (the sweeter the better)
2 Tbsps of lemon juice
Olive oil and butter for frying
Sweet balsamic glaze, for serving
1. Heat around 1 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp butter in a frying pan on high heat.
2. Add the garlic, onions and mushrooms and fry until the onions are brown and softened.
3. Pour in the white wine and stir for a minute or two.
4. Add the mushroom and onion mix to the cooked quinoa and stir well.
5. Add the parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well again. (You can taste some at this point and decide if it needs more of anything – more salt, more cheese, etc.)
6. Heat another tsp of olive oil in a hot frying pan.
7. Add the chopped broccolini, stir for 2-3 minutes, then reduce the heat, add the lemon juice and cover the pan with a lid. Leave for 5 minutes to steam.
8. Put a heap of the mushroom & quinoa mix on a plate, top with the broccolini, then pour on some balsamic glaze to finish.