February 22, 2012
It's already toted as a miracle for hair health - but what can this golden ingredient do for your complexion?
Actually, quite a lot!
Argan oil, produced from the kernels of the Argan tree (native to Morocco) is rich in essential fatty acids; in particular, lineolic acid, which is a precursor to vitamin E. This makes it twice as rich in tocopherols (vitamin E) as olive oil, giving it incredible moisturising, regenerating and antioxidant properties.
Argan oil boasts a multitude of skin care benefits, including:
- Reducing the signs of premature ageing
- Soothing dry skin with its superior hydrating qualities
- Improving skin's elasticity with its high protein content
- Reducing scarring and pigmentation
- Regulating the production of sebum (great for combination skin types)
- Preventing stretch marks
- Reducing inflammation
So how can you make the most of these incredible skin-loving properties?
Well, you can buy Argan oil from most health food stores and chemists - but be careful - a lot of commercial 'pure Argan oil' products actually contain a plethora of other, not-so-pure ingredients. Be sure to read the ingredients list before making your choice, as with everything else!