December 17, 2011
Those of you reading this and thinking, 'Yuck! I hate almonds!' best find another post to read.
Because here at Eve Organics, we LOVE almonds. In our biscuits and on our faces!
We all know that almonds are used to make macaroons and marzipan (didn't know that? You need to get baking - you're missing out!)...
but here a few things you may not know about one of the healthiest members of the nut family:
- Almond meal makes a great substitute for flour, and can be used in cooking.
- Almond milk is a fantastic alternative to cow's milk for people who are lactose intolerant. And it's tasty! Check your local health food store.
- Almonds are great at softening and gently exfoliating the skin, and almond makes a great addition to homemade cleansers and scrubs. Here are a few examples:
Almond Milk Cleanser
- 4 Tablespoons of fine almond meal
- 4 Tablespoons of white clay
- I Tablespoon of organic milk powder
Add all the ingredients to a jar, close and shake well. To use, pour 1 Tablespoon into your hand and gently massage into the skin. Rinse off and pat dry, and say hello to softer, smoother skin!
Breakfast Yoghurt Scrub
- 20g of Brewer's yeast (find it in the baking section)
- 2 Teaspoons of plan organic yoghurt
- 2 Teaspoons of almond meal
- 1 Teaspoon of honey
Combine the ingredients and stir well to mix. Use immediately (do not refrigerate). Yeast is fantastic at encouraging circulation and is a rich source of vitamin B6, and honey is antiseptic and healing.
Have you used almond meal or milk as a substitute in your at-home recipes; beauty or otherwise? Share them here!
Until next time...xx