This is a question I think a lot of us end up asking at some point on our skin-care journeys.
There’s one right answer -
Everybody needs to exfoliate.
Yes. That includes you.
The tricky bit, is that people differ in how often their skin needs exfoliating. To help figure this out, let’s take a look at what exfoliation actually does, and its benefits.
Exfoliation helps to clear dead skin cells. This is important for oily or dull skin, particularly skin that is black-head prone; and also for dry skin, as it can help to prevent skin build-up and flakiness. Exfoliation also encourages circulation, which is important for skin all over the body, and has a multitude of benefits.
So, now that we know what exfoliation does and what it can help with, let’s consider each skin-type separately.
- Oily Skin: Oilyness tends to be correlated with clogged pores – so exfoliation can help to deep-cleanse and ‘flush out’ the pores, and keep the surface of the skin clear. However, what you don’t want to do with oily skin is to dry it out too much. This is because, if you strip skin of its natural oil, it notices how dry it is and starts to panic, and produce even more oil. Not good news for oily skins. So, exfoliation needs to be achieved with a product that won’t dry out the skin too much, but will gently lift dead skin cells and clear the pores. We recommend the ‘Healing Anthropology’ Purifying Facial Exfoliant – click here for more information.
- Dry Skin: Dry skin can also suffer from clogged pores, due to a build up of dead skin cells. This can result in flakiness, which doesn’t look or feel very nice. A solution would be an exfoliator that is also moisturising – so that you’re sloughing off the dry skin without drying the skin out even further. Hello smooth, soft complexion! We recommend either the ‘Beyond Organic’ Gentle Facial Exfoliator, or ‘The Little Alchemist’ Lime & Papaya Exfoliating Micropolish.
- Normal Skin: Normal skin still needs exfoliating, to encourage cell renewal and to clear dead skin cells that might be lurking around and clogging pores or causing blackheads. For normal and combination skin-types, we recommend ‘The Little Alchemist’ Lime & Papaya Exfoliating Micropolish. Click here for more information.
- Acne-prone skin: Acne-prone skin, like all skin, needs some form of exfoliation – but you’ve got to be careful here. The last thing you want to do is to use an abrasive or rough exfoliator on active-acne areas, as this will just spread the infection. What you need is a gentle, purifying but soothing exfoliator that isn’t abrasive. We recommend the ‘Mokosh’ Face Cleansing Powder. Click here for more information.
- Sensitive Skin: The trick with sensitive skin is to exfoliate gently, without causing irritation. A low-abrasive product is recommended; such as the ‘Beyond Organic’ Gentle Daily Exfoliator. Click here for more information.
To browse through all the above products as well as the other exfoliators and scrubs available at Eve Organics, Click here.
Did you find this article helpful? Do you have any comments, questions, or personal experiences you’d like to share on this topic? Drop us a line!
Leave a comment below – we’d love to hear from you.