It seems that there is a lot of confusion out there about exactly what "organic" means. And with good reason: with so many claims of "natural" and "organic" skin care products, along with "certified organic" symbols on labels, how can you differentiate between the good and the bad: the natural skin care and the not so natural?
If you are asking any of these questions, then you are in the right place. We thought we would clear up some of the confusion so that you can purchase products with confidence. Read on!
Firstly, it is important that we give you this tip: Always, always read your labels. The best way to determine exactly what is in a skin care product is to read the full ingredients list and see for yourself.
Unfortunately, a great deal of cosmetics companies still use the terms "natural" and "organic" indiscriminately, and there is no regulation on the use of these terms, so a product can call itself "organic delights", and yet only contain 10% organic ingredients.. or, it can state on its label "made with natural ingredients", and yet contain a long list of synthetic fragrances and preservatives as well.
Don not believe what you see on the front of a product label. Read the ingredients list, every time: it is the only way to determine what is and is not in a skin care product.
Another good idea is to look for a "certified organic" symbol on the product: this generally means that the product contains at least 95% certified organic ingredients. Of course, it is still important to read the label to ensure that the other 5% of ingredients are natural also. (Many ingredients are natural, but not organic. Sometimes this is simply because they are not yet available in organic form. Read on for more information on this.) "Certified Organic" labels can vary in appearance depending on where the product was manufactured and what organisation it achieved organic certification with, but they all say "certified organic", so look out for this text.
So.. what exactly is "organic"?
Simply, organic produce is produce that is grown, cultivated and processed without the use of synthetic chemicals. This means no synthetic fertilisers, pesticides or herbicides and no GMOs (genetically modified organisms). Most countries have an organisation through which manufacturers can apply for "organic certification", to certify to consumers that their produce (in the case of manufacturers of raw materials) or their product ingredients (in the case of skin care companies) are organic. In Australia, certification can be obtained via NASAA (National Association for Sustainable Agriculture Australia) ACO (Australian Certified Organic), and OFC (Organic Food Chain), to name a few. In America, the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) is the most widely recognised organic certification body.
The proportion of organic ingredients required in order to certify a skin care product as "organic" varies from country to country. In Australia, as well as in the US, a product needs to contain 95% certified organic ingredients in order to qualify for organic certification.
However, achieving organic certification is not an easy process: there is a huge amount involved, and certification of raw ingredients can often take years, particularly for new businesses and companies using new organic farming premises or who are just beginning the certification process. Because of this, there are some ingredients that just are not available as certified organic yet, even though they are 100% natural and might be produced using organic methods.
As more and more organic farming facilities are established and more ingredients are produced according to organic certification, it will become easier for manufacturers of natural skin care to produce not only 100% natural, but 100% organic products.
Many of the skin care products stocked at Eve Organics are 100% organic. Those that arent, are 100% natural. In other words, you will find a great deal of all organic skin care here, and what is not all-organic is completely natural. You can rest assured that we do not stock anything with synthetic ingredients of any kind, and we choose organic products wherever we can.
We believe that the products we stock are the creme de la creme: the very best and purest of what is currently on the market. We guarantee that you will not find a more authentic and natural range of skin care products anywhere else.